mardi 4 juin 2013

Habs : The pillar



Source : canadiens.nhl.com



A physical presence. That’s what Michel Therrien was looking for when he called upon Jarred Tinordi at the end of the season. And, the Canadiens bench boss was not disappointed.

The 21-year-old defenseman had two stints with the Habs this past season. The first, which lasted six games, allowed him to become accustomed to the rigors of playing in the NHL and familiarize himself with the Canadiens’ system as well as his teammates. The second, which lasted the two final games of the regular season and the playoffs, provided him with a good taste of what his role would be with the team in the near future.

"I think that it was excellent for my development. I didn’t get the chance to play many games during the regular season. To head straight into the playoffs helps you understand what postseason hockey is all about," confessed Tinordi, who most notably led the London Knights to a berth in the Memorial Cup in 2012. "It gives you an idea of what it takes to win, and you want to train even harder during the offseason knowing that’s what it takes to go far."

A veritable steamroller during his second stint in Montreal, Tinordi dished out 23 hits in his last seven games, including a seven-hit effort during a game on April 25 in Winnipeg.

"I think that my style of play fulfills a need on this team. It’s important to work on my game and to head back to training camp in great shape," added the 6-foot-6 rearguard, who tips the scale at 215 pounds, a number that he is not yet satisfied with.

"I’ve got to put on weight without compromising my mobility. I’m a pretty mobile defenseman for my size and I don’t have to sacrifice that," continued Tinordi, who bears a striking resemblance to Hal Gill from a height standpoint, but possesses speed that is uncommon for a player his size.

Still slender, Tinordi knows full well, by his own admission, that he could add some 30 pounds to his frame during the next few years.

"I grew quickly. It’s tough for your body to keep up with the growth spurt. Your metabolism isn’t able to keep up. When my father started playing, he was skinnier and with time he put on some weight. It will take time and a lot of work, but we’ll see," confessed Tinordi, who hopes to arrive at training camp in September ten pounds heavier. "I won’t be getting any taller, that’s for sure!"

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire